Ready to learn Somatic Sex Therapy?
Somatic-Concentric Sex Therapy Training
for Therapists & Counselors
*This training has been approved for 20 AASECT CE's!
Sexuality is a complex and highly socialized aspect of being a fully social, vibrant, and creative human being. Those who are at home in their body and their sexuality tend to be more confident and expressive about their desires and their boundaries. They are also more likely to see body changes or sexual issues as opportunities for deeper learning and personal growth, instead of detracting from self-confidence or their relationships.
Yet societal messages perpetuate a sense of shame, embarrassment, and misunderstanding about sex/ual/ity. This creates an atmosphere of criticism of self or a partner, rifts in intimate relationship, and missed opportunities to fully enjoy life.
Personal awareness, education, and confidence in knowing ourselves is the antidote to the sex- and body-negative messages from society. Your clients can find a home in their bodies and an intelligent connection with their sex/ual/ity.
This hybrid course offers an integrated, socially-just, and trauma-informed method to support your client's sexual and intimate lives. With the foundation of Sex Therapy with Somatic Psychotherapy and Dance/Movement Therapy, this method traverses the many layers of the self to uncover where the shame and misinformation has created wounds and halted mind-body integration.
Participants will learn to evaluate the relationship between the somatic self and all the important social arenas that influence how we inhabit and express ourselves. This body-based journey will show you how to integrate the exciting and easeful aspects of sexuality with the unconscious and fractured aspects, allowing for an integrative exploration and discovery of a whole-bodied erotic self.
Meet your instructors! Lead instructor: Melissa Walker & Assistant instructor: Anna Mayer
Over 2 weekends and 1 zoom consultation group in between, you will learn how to incorporate somatic sex therapy into your work with clients through presentation of the theory, experientials, group discussion, and practice.
*This model does not include touch, except for direction on consensual, non-sexual touch between members of a couple as a part of in-session experientials.
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
* Understand and articulate a somatic and dance movement therapy approach to sex therapy
* Support your clients to develop a more confident and loving relationship with their erotic body
* Learn a somatic framework for understanding arousal anatomy and addressing arousal non-concordance as well as other often misunderstood expressions and body-to-body dynamics.
* Assess a client's sexual problems using an integrated clinical somatic tool that incorporates the impact of their sociocultural location.
* Address common presenting sexual problems such as desire difference, low arousal/desire, anorgasmia, or erectile dysfunction.
* Apply this somatic model to a diversity of client experiences and presentations.
* Navigate ethical dilemmas that arise in therapy
* Support your clients to craft their own supportive community & therapeutic team
Module #1 Somatic-Concentric Sex Therapy Foundations + Assessment & Interventions
Module #2 Ethical considerations, therapist somatic self-knowing, and supervised practice
Learn more about the S-CST course!
Melissa Walker was interviewed by Kim Rothwell of the Embodied Education Institute of Chicago. Listen in as they discuss the course and how therapists and counselors will benefit from the training.
Somatic-Concentric Sex Therapy Training Dates
Learn the theory and application with Melissa Walker & team