Ready to learn Somatic Sex Therapy?
Somatic-Concentric Sex Therapy Training
for Therapists & Counselors
Sexuality is a complex and highly socialized aspect of being a fully social, vibrant, and creative human being. Those who are at home in their body and their sexuality tend to be more confident and expressive about their desires and boundaries. They are also more likely to see body changes or sexual issues as opportunities for deeper learning and personal growth, instead of detracting from self-confidence or their relationships. Where do we begin to build such personal awareness and confidence? Our clients are bombarded by so many sex- and body-negative messages from cultural, familiar, and religious sources that it is hard to know where to begin!
This hybrid course offers an integrated, socially-just, and trauma-informed method to support your client's sexual and intimate lives. With the foundation of Sex Therapy with Somatic Psychotherapy and Dance/Movement Therapy, this method traverses the many layers of the self. Participants will learn to evaluate the relationship between the somatic self and all the important social arenas that influence how we inhabit and express ourselves. This body-based journey will show you how to integrate the exciting and easeful aspects of sexuality with the unconscious and fractured aspects, allowing for an integrative exploration and discovery of a whole-bodied erotic self.
Meet your instructors! Lead instructor: Melissa Walker & Assistant instructor: Anna Mayer
Over 2 weekends and 3 zoom consultation groups in between, you will learn how to incorporate somatic sex therapy into your work with clients through presentation of the theory, experientials, group discussion, and practice.
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
* Understand and articulate a somatic and dance movement therapy approach to sex therapy
* Support your clients to develop a more confident and loving relationship with their erotic body
* Learn a somatic framework for understanding arousal anatomy and addressing arousal non-concordance as well as other often misunderstood expressions and body-to-body dynamics.
* Assess a client's sexual problems using an integrated clinical somatic tool that incorporates the impact of their sociocultural location.
* Address common presenting sexual problems such as desire difference, low arousal/desire, anorgasmia, or erectile dysfunction.
* Apply this somatic model to a diversity of client experiences and presentations.
* Navigate ethical dilemmas that arise in therapy
* Support your clients to craft their own supportive community & therapeutic team
Module #1 Somatic-Concentric Sex Therapy Foundations + Assessment & Interventions
Module #2 Ethical considerations, therapist somatic self-knowing, and supervised practice
Fall 2022 Dates
Module #1: Friday September 30th & Saturday October 1st
Zoom supervision call TBD Module
#2: Friday December 2nd & Saturday December 3rd
Spring 2023 Dates
Module #1: Friday March 3rd & Saturday March 4th
Zoom supervision call TBD
Module #2: Friday April 21st & Saturday April 22nd
$1175 for Professionals / $875 for Students